Default Template Corporate
Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. is currently looking for an Agricultural Scientist to support our Cranberry Grower-Owners in British Columbia, Canada. The successful candidate will work out of Ocean Spray’s Richmond facility in Richmond, BC and be part of a team of Ocean Spray Agricultural Scientists that serves our growers industry-wide.
The BC Ag. Scientist will develop and implement research and outreach programs to support all phases of agricultural production for Ocean Spray Grower-Owners in the British Columbia region. Our Ag. Scientists provide support to programs/initiatives in the areas of crop supply planning, fruit quality, and pesticide-related risk management. They coordinate efforts of University/government scientists, grower organizations and chemical industry professionals to focus on solutions to agricultural production and quality issues. The incumbent of this position will be expected to work extended hours during harvest season.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be an integral member of our team of OSC Agricultural Scientists and work collaboratively with the OSC Agricultural Operations (fruit receiving) network.
• Conduct applied research to address key production, pest management, fruit quality, and environmental needs independently or collaboratively with external (e.g. university) scientists as appropriate. Manage summer technicians.
• Provide on-farm technical support to Grower-Owners.
• Implement outreach programs for Grower education and to facilitate research technology transfer.
• Execute field sampling programs to support crop estimation and pesticide residue analysis.
• Represent the Cooperative as an information resource on matters relating to the overall business.
• Be familiar with the Cooperative’s rules and recommendations for Grower–Owner conduct in relation to producing and delivering the crop.
• Review and approve Pesticide Use Reports for individual farms.
• Attend and participate in grower industry meetings.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements:
• A Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences, pest management, crop management, soil science or related discipline (e.g. entomology, plant pathology, weed science, horticulture) is required and an advanced academic degree (MS or PhD) is preferred.
• 2 or more years of direct experience in agricultural research or production is preferred.
• Candidates must be self-directed and independently motivated.
• Driving is required so candidates must have a valid driver’s license in good standing. A company vehicle is provided for business use.